Friday, February 25, 2011

The White Stone

etsy.com

My mom recently sent a letter to my children. She encouraged them to run The Race to win. To not turn away, or give up, but to keep running even when it's difficult.
Then she talked about the special stone given to the winner at the end of the race in the early Greek Olympics. Wherever that man went, if he showed that special stone, he was given special treatment.

The letter continued:
"...we're running a spiritual race and everyone that wins gets a crown and a white stone with their name on it. You have been chosen to run in this race. When you accepted Jesus, you began running. 'Those that overcome (win) will receive a crown,' --yours is already waiting for you in Heaven. And in Revelation, Jesus Himself says He will give you a white stone, 'and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.' Is that exciting or what? It's more important than any prize you could win in this world."

At this point in the letter, Ellie interrupted excitedly, "Mom? Do you know what's on the stone? It's our heavenly name. Because we'll have a new name in Heaven."

I looked at her, amazed. I have never seen that before. And she's right.

Ellie continued, "And when we get to Heaven, we all get crowns. And they will all be different."

"Yes, we will," I agreed. "But, you know, the Bible says we won't wear them, because we'll lay them down at Jesus' feet."

"Well, I won't," she said cheerfully.

I paused, wondering if we were going to have a discussion on the erroneous theology she seemed to be leaning towards.

But I breathed a huge sigh of relief a second later as she continued, "I won't lay my crown at Jesus' feet, because I'm going to put mine on His head."

We can leave it at that. But Little Drummer Boy quickly jumped in, "I'm going to get mine on Jesus' head first."

Thus began a loud and lengthy dissertation, and I, somewhat successfully, explained why these kinds of competitions won't matter in Heaven.

I wish they didn't matter to my children now.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Out of the mouths of babes! You just gotta love-em. :~}

Tammy said...

How special!! You will remember that conversation for a lifetime! :)