Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A New Addition/Replacement

Charlotte has gone missing. Many theories abound in our house as to her whereabouts.

Biker Man thinks because she was so sweet and friendly, she wandered into another family's life, and they took her in and made her an inside cat.

Lydia thinks Charlotte went on an extended hunting trip.

I think those are both plausible theories, but it took our very practical Drummer Boy to voice my concern.

"She's probably in Kitty Heaven," he said matter-of-factly to his sister's disbelief.

Now, I agree that we don't have the best luck with pets around here. We have an entire history of pet loss, and for the strangest reasons.

But I wasn't going to agree with Little Drummer Boy out loud. No way.

Then, a couple days ago, Ellie came from the horse pasture next door with a full-grown cat.

Day 9 - Fat Cat

"I found Charlotte!" She announced triumphantly.

"Uh, Ellie, that's not Charlotte," I began.

"She came back!" Countered my daughter, breathless from holding onto a cat three times the size of our beloved kitten, said cat struggling to free itself from my daughter's clutches.

The very skittish cat does have a striking resemblance to Charlotte, at least in its markings.
But a mammoth version. A Chernobyl Charlotte, if you will.

And since Ellie brought Sophie (that's its name now) home, it loves her. It purrs and rolls on its back to be stroked and loved. It meows (a much deeper meow than we were used to hearing), and adores the attention.

Ellie and Little Drummer Boy are blissfully happy with this new arrangement.

I'm happy they're happy.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I love that you are cat people. We are too!! Good luck with ole' chubster kitty. You may want to invest in a little more cat food. :) It's also neat what we will do to see those precious little faces on our kids filled with joy. We have two dogs and two cats...I take allergy shots each week cuz i'm allergic to...cats and dogs! But, my kids smiles are the biggest when one of their pets is on their lap sleeping or purring. :) It's all worth it. Now...if I could just find my inhaler...everything will be alright. LOL Great post my friend!

ellie and me said...

I know, I know, I'm allergic as well. I haven't ever been a cat person, per se, but these last two cats have not been the stereotypical snobbish breed. And they both loved our kids. We sooo need to hang out, Tammy. I'm just saying.

Tammy said...

I agree!! Let's do it!! :)