Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Delicious? Really?

I look at this picture, and think, "Mmmm....delicious."

Strawberryphoto © 2007 sigusr0 | more info (via: Wylio)



But today, I heard Paul Reiser refer to his children in the manner I have up to now reserved for food I find tasty.

"We have two delicious children."

Really? Does the word cannibalism hold any meaning for you? At all?

How about the dark and grisly undertones of Hansel and Gretel? The children-hungry witch in that story ring any bells?

Or the missionary stories we hear so often from once upon a time in the deep recesses of Africa or New Guinea? Narrow escapes from tribes whose palettes were watering for human flesh?

But then I see this....



And I recollect the words issuing from my lips:

"Oh, you are so sweet!! I could just eat you up!!"

Sorry, Paul. I judged you before taking the ginormous fence post from my eye.

It's just so literal.

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

His quote puts me in mind of Nanny McPhee -- Colin Firth (who is always Mr. Darcy to me no matter what role he plays) says that of his own children. It struck me as odd, and then it grew on me like a fungus... and now I love it. :) I do wish though, that I could always see my children this way.