Thursday, April 21, 2011

Perspective

So, to continue from my last post, change does not always include new surroundings or circumstances.

Sometimes, when God begins stirring my heart that something new is on the horizon, it means He is getting ready to reveal Himself to me in a new way.

branches' mesh mashed up by interfering sunlight — perspective of a dragonfly hovering over a bayouphoto © 2010 Karl-Ludwig Poggemann | more info (via: Wylio)


It may happen that I have begun to get so consumed in the work He has set before me, that my focus has shifted from the big picture to the smaller details.

God has to alter my perspective a bit from time to time, to remind me of what's truly important. To see if my desires are lining up with His desires, or if I have settled for earthly best, rather than wait on His perfect will.

Is my worship somehow overtaken by works for my Father?

Faith without works is dead, it's true, but where would my faith be without communion with my King?

E.M. Bounds had a great point on this:

Activity is not strength. Work is not zeal. Moving about is not devotion. Activity often is the unrecognized symptom of spiritual weakness. It may be hurtful to piety when made the substitute for real devotion in worship. The colt is much more active than its mother, but she is the wheel-horse of the team, pulling the load without noise or bluster or show. The child is more active than the father, who may be bearing the rule and burdens of an empire on his heart and shoulders. Enthusiasm is more active than faith, though enthusiasm cannot remove mountains nor call into action any of the omnipotent forces which faith can command.
Activity is often at the expense of more solid, useful elements, and generally to the total neglect of prayer. To be too busy with God's work to commune with God, to be busy with doing church work without taking time to talk to God about His work, is the highway to backsliding, and many people have walked therein to the hurt of their immortal souls.

Here I am, Lord, ready to listen. Ready to learn. Teachable.

Hit me with Your perspective. Transform my mind.

No comments: