Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Beginnings



The first sign of Spring.

Doesn't Ellie look like she belongs in Little House On The Prairie?

It's the bonnet. It's a true Cajun bonnet, worn since the 1800's by French Cajun ladies serious about gardening, cooking, french music, religion, and crawfish.

Every year, I have to start over with most of my flowers. They don't all grow back for me.

I don't have so much a green thumb, as a black thumb. I forget to cover my plants when it freezes, forget to water them, forget to weed, and forget about them altogether.

So I have been repotting, replanting, and completely rearranging my yard.

Every year.

"This time I'm going to keep up my garden, I really am," I chant, like it's a mantra. As if I'll suddenly be struck with an organized and strangely powerful memory. And a soul that nurtures anything besides my children and husband.



Also, I will be switching banks.

(Insert image of Ellie nodding furiously.)

They placed a hold on my check I deposited Friday, with seventy dollars in overdraft charges hitting my account on Monday. For the umpteenth time.

Seventy. Dollars.

Time for a new financial institution, I say.

I love new beginnings.

No comments: