Wednesday, January 19, 2011

She said it, I knew it.


I am a missionary kid. Raised by parents who traveled the globe, mostly before I was born, but we moved to Australia when I was fifteen. I have it in my blood to travel to the furthest regions, and minister in the process. (And I get that if I didn't embrace the way I was raised, and appreciate it, I would want no part of it now.)
Well, I have always wanted to go to Africa. My parents ministered there in the 60's. (Long, long before I was born, so I never had the chance.) Mom and Dad were in Nigeria and the Congo. I have a little elephant my dad gave me when I was younger that I used to play with. Now it sits on the cabinet in the living room, a reminder of what is still in me to do. I have no idea what God has planned when (yes, I said when, not if) we go to Africa, I only know it's in my heart. Especially Kenya and Uganda.
Monday, some of our Master's Commission students left for Kenya. I wish I was going.
We have some dear friends from Uganda, Elisabeth and Moses Kitakule. I was their children's piano teacher for awhile. Thanksgiving day, Elisabeth called to see if I wanted to meet their dear friends, Hazel and Peter from Kenya.
Oh boy, you bet!
So Ellie has been longing to go to Africa since she met the Kitakule's. Now she wants to go to not only Uganda, but Kenya as well. I love the fact that she is expressing what I already know. We are going to do missions. As a family!! Just as I cannot escape the calling and burden for the lost I was raised with, neither will my children.
Ellie looked up at me after her friends left and said, "Now we HAVE to go to Africa."
I feel exactly the same way.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

AND YOU WILL GO!! :) GREAT POST!