Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Big Plan


The other morning I was getting ready for work, and Little Drummer Boy was putting on his shoes. He paused while tying his shoes to give me a brief theological analogy.
"Mom, do you know what I think?"
"No, what?"
"I think that God doesn't make stuff happen. He PLANS stuff to happen."

Oh. Wow.
"Really? How do you mean?"
"Well, like the electricity going out last night. God didn't make that happen, but He PLANNED for it to happen."

Okay. This was a nice, clean statement wrapped up in an explanation I would have expected from my six year old son. I turned back to the sink, putting toothpaste on my toothbrush.

"And when Adam and Eve sinned, God didn't make them disobey. But He planned for it. Because God plans everything."

Wait, what??
I paused, toothbrush held over the sink, just staring at him for literally 30 seconds or so.
This is some deep thinking. My son is always asking about Heaven, Jesus, the Bible, why are we called Christians, why did God make mosquitoes (and did they come after Adam and Eve disobeyed), and a thousand other questions about this life we've chosen. But for him to put this together in his mind, and come up with such a simple and logical interpretation of something that has troubled mankind for centuries, just blew me away.
And I have. Struggled with that question. You know the one. "Why does bad stuff happen to people who follow Christ? Who have made Jesus Lord of their lives, no turning back? Why ?"
I thought of my firstborn son, lying in my arms, helpless against the disease taking him from us just hours after we welcomed him into our lives. Staring down at his beautiful face scrunched up with pain, praying, "Dear God, please please, anything but this. Please..." Wondering why for years afterwards.
And looking down at my six year old son, this bright eyed, busy, amazing blessing from Jesus, so full of child like faith, I saw the greater plan. The appreciation I have for the children He's given me. The closer walk I have with Him.
This miracle of hope looked up at me and grinned, two teeth missing in front.
"Thank you, so much, son," I said as a wave of emotion grabbed my heart, "Thanks so much. You really were listening to the Holy Spirit today. You made my day."
"I love you, mom."

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

Wow Kari. I'm a bit dumbfounded and don't know what to say. That's an amazing kid you've got there, and truly, you have been given an amazing giftm -- I would never ask for anything wrapped in that packaging, but the gift that came from your loss, it is enviable. We should really try to get together soon. I miss you.