Monday, September 26, 2011

This Made Me Stop And Think.


Yesterday, we were visiting a church in Shreveport, New Creation Family Church. The pastors are dear friends, Bishop Shaun and Teresa Cooper.

It was good to reconnect, and share what God has been doing in us, and through us.
I sang during the morning service, a song God gave me for their church.

Then Pastor Shaun spoke. Wow.

Biker Man and I kept looking at each other in amazement and conviction.

The one point I will share here was from Revelation 3:20.
"Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

I've heard this scripture since I was a little girl. I could quote it to you, and tell you it's about Jesus wanting to come into the sinner's heart and forgive sins, and be Lord of your life.

But the Bishop gave a different spin on it.

This verse is right after the warning to the church of Laodecia. The lukewarm church. Jesus doesn't know where they are. He can't locate them, they aren't hot for Him, or cold. They make Him sick, completely taken over by the apostacy and apathy of this age.

But Jesus stands at the door and knocks.

Bishop Cooper said, "Your prayer life isn't out of a desire for Him anymore. It's become one of duty. So you give Him time in your car, or when you get to church. It's not the passion it once was. See, Jesus went to the store to get more bread. When He got back, He was locked out. Locked out of His own home. And you have all your friends there, sitting at the table, throwing a party. Yelling at the kids. In the back yard bar-b-que-ing. Running the vacuum to clean before you let Him back in. But He's God. He already knows the house is dirty. Remember when you couldn't wait to get home and spend time alone in worship with Him? When you couldn't wait to get up and get lost in prayer with Him?"

This quote blew me away.

Poor prayer life = Poor perspective.

My prayer life determines how I view everything else. How I handle my day. The love I give, whether it's tempered by cynicism or sincerity. And I won't even know if I'm listening to the voice of God if I'm not hearing His voice in the Secret Place.

3 comments:

Courtney Cavalier said...

Woot Woot for Shreveport! Mrs. Kari, this was an awesome post. Like you, I've read and read and read that verse so many times and never really thought about it in the way presented to you on Sunday. This definitely is food for thought!

ellie and me said...

I'm telling you, Courtney, I was in complete conviction. My prayer life needed an update after hearing this. It's an ongoing relationship that always needs work, like a marriage.

Unknown said...

That is really awesome. Bishop Cooper will be here in Michigan next month with us, I'm looking forward to what the Lord has to say through him and everyone else.